Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed two packages on April 19th using 7 frames of foundation, 2 frames of drawn comb, and a frame feeder in each hive. In the process, I watched one of the queens fly away while I attempted a direct release. I held out some hope that she'd find her way back.

On April 21st, I opened the hives and saw one hive overflowing and the other hive with about 500 bees gathered around the empty queen cage that I'd left in the hive.

In retrospect, I realize I should have combined the smaller with the bigger hive and then split later this summer. But that's not what I did. Instead, (for some reason) I decided to swap a three frames from the small hive with three frames from the full hive, essentially creating an extremely premature split. I made no effort to see which frame the queen was on. My reasoning was as follows: The queen has had three full days to lay eggs in both of the fully drawn frames I provided. I made sure I left one in the strong hive and moved one to the empty hive.

Assuming she's laid eggs in both frames (now one in each hive) then I should be fine, right? Obviously there was a better way to do it, but I should be alright hopefully right?

Someone reassure me.

·
Super Moderator
11,185 Posts
Hmm, well you may need more than 500 bees to care for the brood and queen in the weaker hive. Did some bees move with the frames?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry if that wasn't clear. Yes. The frames were completely covered in bees. That's why I didn't bother trying to locate the queen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I let a queen fly my first package and vowed never again. Do you have another colony to take brood from? The numbers of bees will drop but the queenless hives numbers will drop until your queen hatches and produces more bees. I wouldn't take the risk without the ability to pull brood from other colonies and amp up the numbers. You can purchase a new queen so she can start laying eggs right away. I personally would combine them, set out a bunch of swarm traps and hope to catch a couple.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts