Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My bees have been in the hive for 11 days. The comb in most every hive is getting laid perpendicular to the frame in long columns. The space between the frames is getting filled with comb. When you pull out a frame the two frames need to be pried apart and the the comb just barely hangs on at the top of the frame. The comb is not getting attached to the imprinted comb on the plastic. The plastic combs were coated with beeswax and I sprayed them with sugar water before I installed the bees. What do I do now? The hives are also level.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
"The space between the frames is getting filled with comb."

The first thing is to make sure you have the correct number of frames [10 for a 10 frame box] and that they are pushed tight together in the middle. At first, there will some extra space at the two outer sides of the box. This will even out as the bees propolize between the frames.

Did you put extra wax coating on the frames yourself? Is it too thick now? Is this Duraguilt foundation?

You will have to cut away the extra comb and hope they restart properly on the foundation. I wonder if this [problem] has anything to do with cold, cloudy and rainy weather we have had, going on 10-12 days [until now] in our area. I have not used plastic very much except for a few supers during a good nectar flow, which they drew out fine. Good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your quick response. If I cut out the abnormal comb should I leave the comb on top of the hive for the bees to recycle? The brood frames are just plastic frames purchased from Mann. The frames came already waxed. I didn't add additional wax. When I start to put on honey supers I did purchase Duraglit. Unfortunately, a whole case of Duraglit. I hope that I'm not going to continue having this problem all summer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Using Plastic Frames
100% beeswax
4.9 cell size
10 frame hive
2 frames are replaced with a 2 gallon frame feeder
Food is 1:1 ratio sugar water with 1 Tbs. Pro-Health Stimulant.
I filled the feeder with 1 gallon of syrup.
All queens have been spotted and are not laying any eggs yet.
There is honey and pollen in the cells.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I had the same problem with some of my peirco frames wtih my packages this spring. I melted down the wax that I took from them and painted it on some extra frames. Then I took out some of the frames in the hive and replaced them with the ones I painted. It worked great.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
"..should I leave the comb on top of the hive for the bees to recycle?"

They don't chew on it and recycle the wax very much that way, that I have noticed. Not from outside the hive anyway. If there is a good nectar flow during this summer season, they should draw the Duraguilt OK. I only used it [Duraguilt] my first year, five years ago. Only a few frames were not, or not drawn out properly.

·
Registered
196 Posts
personally I think the problem is the plastic frames in a new hive. They may be ok to slip into an established hive but then I've never used them, all I ever use is the duragilt wax coated plastic with metal edges.
Getting foundation drawn well isn't alway easy, there will be some frames that will be culled out over time. If they screw up the foundation and you scrap it off they'll just make that spot drone comb and maybe the rest of the sheet will be better. If all your gear is all deep supers I'd put a few frames of duragilt in the brood box, but then you referred to it as honey supers...are the mediums. Mediums will work too - give the bees their choice maybe.
If it worked for pine-ridge I'd try his idea, but then again oldbee may have a point that the weather is contributing to their not setting up house the way we would like.
It just doesn't alway go by the way the book says - and even less often as the advertising said it would :cry:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts