Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
I can't help you out with a ride partner but for all you cowboys going to Orlando bee sure and ask the powers that bee at ABF why they have not come out yet with a public statement condemning the importation of Aussie packages.

Currently USA has renewed the certificate for shipping bees from Australia as long as within two years prior to export to the United States, there has been no detection of Asian honeybees (Apis cerana) within a 100 mile (160 km) radius of the premises from which packaged and queen bees are derived, nor have the bees transmitted any regions affected with Asian honeybees en route to the port of embarkation.

Thats all that stands between your bees, your livelihood and the next mite that will come from Apis Cerana, 100 miles and the promise from the beekeeper in Australia that they have not seen any Apis Cerana in the last two years.

What a joke! It pisses me off that ABF is so lame of an organization they don't stand up to the Almond Board and stop this train wreck that is coming someday soon to the USA honeybee industry. This next mite could make varrora or CCD look like a Cub Scout camping trip.

What speaks is colony counts and money NOT beekeepers voices.

Did you know it took Sue Cobey almost 2 decades of nonsense with USDA APHIS to get the permits to import some semen? to improve her NWC genetics? Thats right folks almost 20 years but yet we opened the door to allow Aussie pkgs to come in to ultimately line the pockets of some almond growers.

If this scare the crap out of you it should!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Re: Orlando!!

Ive been doing some reading about the Asian HB....wow, thats al lI can say

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

This is a big issue and I think all the US Bee organizations should be taking a stand. Are any of the other organizations speaking out about the Aussie bees? I have not joined ABF for this and several other reasons, but if someone could point me in the right direction I might be inclined to sign on to an organization that has the guts to attack issues WE find important.

·
Registered
433 Posts

I do believe that the American Honey Producers Association has a stronger stance although I'm not sure if that translates into more then talk.

No one stands up for common sense over money.

What happens when they find some new bee chigger in CA thats traced back to Aussie packages? Think anyone would have enough sense to ban migratory or package shipments? Of course not.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

Thanks Bud for your insight.. In my "day job" there are many organizations as there are with the bees and bee-business.. it seems to me that it really does not matter what the "business" the organizations are all talk, and all $$$, not much action. I am looking for the right one for the bee business before I spend my hard earned dollars.

·
Registered
333 Posts

# organizations are working and putting up the money (yes it takes money) to develop and implement honeybee importation protocols.

The AHPA - Am Honey Producers

The ABF- Am Beekeeping Federation

The CSBA - Ca State Beekeepers Association.

Have you put your dollars forward so your voice can be heard!

Larry Pender

·
Registered
34,542 Posts

I can't help you out with a ride partner but for all you cowboys going to Orlando bee sure and ask the powers that bee at ABF why they have not come out yet with a public statement condemning the importation of Aussie packages.
Maybe you should join us an express your thoughts directly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts