Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who let a beekeeper place 4 hives next to his cotton field several years ago. The beekeeper left the hives and eventually all the hives were empty. This spring I noticed a few bees going in and out of one of them. Now it looks like the hive is thriving. The beeekeer used two medium supers with a queen excluder followed with two more mediums. Friend said the beekeeper did not want the old hives so he said I could get the bees. Any suggestions on how to do this?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
"Any suggestions on how to do this?"
I use eight frame medium boxes, so I would smoke the bees, place them in my hive, and come back after dusk to move the hive. I would get permission to keep the frames (or give my friend some honey for them). If I did not use medium frames, I would use this opportunity to switch or treat it like a cutout. I would also tell my friend that I charge $300 for bee removal, pause, and then smile at my friend.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Get a hold of the beek. Don't assume anything is abandoned unless he says they are yours. 2 years ago I had one of the local red flagers decide he was going to help himself to some of my bees. We noticed something was going on in the front yard of a location. Eventually he painted my boxes his color. One day my help was at the back yard when he noticed someone "working" our hives. The nut had the gall to ask my help to help him load them in his pickup. Needless to say he had a friendly visit from the local deputies who kindly explained that a charge of grand theft would convince him they were not as abandoned as he thought they were.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Ya, he might be scratching his head, wondering where he left that equipment at. You'll have good bee Karma if you get ahold of him.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
He said above that the beekeeper didnt want the hives, so FREE BEES FOR OP

The way I read it it says " Friend said the beekeeper did not want the old hives." When the cops are about to slap the cuffs I'm sure they will believe the hearsay. NOT. If you really want it in gold get the person or landowner to sign a release.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't know any beekeepers that don't want 4 hives of their own gear back. Hives in a rural area, you could get hurt or locked up over. You better call the owner yourself.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The way I read it it says " Friend said the beekeeper did not want the old hives." When the cops are about to slap the cuffs I'm sure they will believe the hearsay. NOT. If you really want it in gold get the person or landowner to sign a release.
I am sure he doesn't want to call his friend a Liar. But I agree, try to call the Beekeeper and verify.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've been told by a friend with good intentions to "go ahead, he won't care", and have to explain myself hat in hand to the owner. If you've never been there, I'll tell you, you never want to be. I'd call the guy and offer to buy the gear for what you think its worth, no BS. That's how men do business. If he said its not worth anything, you can have it; I'd insist a little, make a little small talk etc etc, then take the free gear. Maybe, he has an operation and needs help, he might see you as a straight up guy, you might could help for cash, splits, etc. You never know, it could turn out as a great opportunity.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everybody. If I do anything at all, I will contact the beekeeper. The hives are in much disrepair, only interested in the bees.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts