Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took this video earlier this week when the weather was in mid 40's and it was sunny. First day we've had in a long time where bees could fly.
The bees are doing what looks like fanning to me, you can see it at the 11-18 seconds mark of the video. This hive has a solid bottom board, first year ever using solids, and I wonder if it's possible that they're fanning out any moisture from within the hive. I didn't see any signs of moisture throughout the season with this colony, but I did notice problems with another colony that has solid bottom board. Adding a box with auger hole helped and the problem was corrected.
Another question I have is, this colony has been using only top entrance during warm and sunny winter days. The other colony in the video has been using only bottom entrance. I'm wondering if it's safe to assume that the clusters are closer to those openings and that's why the bees are using them? I know that it's not safe to assume anything in beekeeping :D, but is it in this case? Experience, feedback, thoughts and opinions are all appreciated.
https://vimeo.com/87266715

·
Registered
289 Posts
Workers have several chemical pheromones. They may just be fanning pheromones for communication and not moisture. l like to see hives with different color bees, they are almost always my best hives too. Good luck, your hive looks good.

·
Registered
553 Posts
The way the bees are fluttering their wings plus the batch of bees on the post gives me the impression that they may be having an issue of some sort. It doesn't look like normal fanning to me.

Can you give an update on the hive when you do an inspection?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all.
@MP
I haven't done anything to the hive since last October. The bees "seemed" normal next day, when it was still in mid-40 and sunny, doing usual cleansing flights. I didn't see any more fanning, but I only observed them for 10min max around noontime.

@Mike Gillmore
it's something I decided to do this year, leave everything on. Good idea? Yea, maybe, I don't know. There's days when I questioned this decisions and there's days where I didn't. Not much I can do about it just yet. You live, you learn, you adjust.

@Delta Bay
I'll give an update later on, once spring rolls around.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Figured I'd give an update on this colony. They survived the winter. I pulled a super off in late April ( mostly crystallized honey in comb, had to warm it up in a greenhouse ). There were no signs of moisture/condensation. The colony is building up as expected and I'm getting ready to raise few queens from it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts