Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
in just these past two and a half weeks my hive count went from 13 healthy colonies with overwintered tf queens to 28 colonies.

the increase came from splits and swarms from the overwintered thirteen and these new colonies are mating queens at this time, plus they all have at least five drawn frame of comb and plenty of fresh stores.

i have also allowed a half dozen very nice swarms fly into the nearby woods.

it's interesting to see the changes in operations as these succesful bees shift out of spring build-up and swarming to new white wax and storing for next winter.

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
It is a wonderful time when everything is going well. I hope it continues for you. Personally I would fret a lot about the ones lost to the trees! It has happened to me and will happen again unless I stay vigilant and even IF I DO stay vigilant! Swarming is what healthy bees do! I have a cold wet weekend and expanding populations. I bet some cells get started as it is ten days to two weeks away from the beginning of swarm time. I have a dozen queens shipping Monday to make splits and try to keep my bees out of the trees. It is indeed the best time of the year.

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
( fixed my typos :) )

since the bees started from bee tree cut outs is seems only fitting to allow some of them back to the trees. besides, i like having the unmanaged colonies providing drones at this time of year.

the nice thing is that even with all the increase i should still surpass last year's honey harvest, plus i have been able to sell all surplus bees so far.

it's a great time of year to be a bee, and a beekeeper.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Very nice!
I hope folks have a great season this year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts