Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bee Beehive Honeybee Insect Honeycomb
Bee Beehive Honeybee Insect Apiary

This is the primary swarm from my best hive that I hived on April 25. They were started with 6 frames of drawn comb and 4 foundation.:D

Alex

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hows the brood pattern looking in the hive she left? Daughter performing as well? G
I have four additional hives headed by her daughters. I had three hives going into Winter, two of which went queen less in late March I believe. They were building early and I noticed in mid April that hives one and three didn't seem to be keeping pace with hive #2. I put a frame of brood into each one, but no QC's were made in either one. While I was waiting for QC's and trying to decide what to do, the primary swarm left hive #2, then swarmed again on April 29. I thought that was it, but it swarmed again on May 3 and 6. I caught all of them and did a newspaper combine of swarms two and three with hives #1 and #3. I left swarm #4 in a hive with foundation only, as insurance against unsuccessful combines or mating flights. So I knew I had a virgin queen in the original hive as late as May 7. Last week I found no brood in the original hive and was becoming concerned, but today I found a small patch on both sides of one frame. When I viewed the pictures on my computer I could see larvae as well.
So now I have the Mother Queen in Hive #4 hive and four hives headed by her daughters. They all are mated and performing well. I got very Lucky!
It looks as though I am still going to make a deep super of honey from the original hive. I don't know about the others yet, our weather has been very wet and the flow is slowing.
Bee Beehive Insect Honeybee Food
Bee Beehive Honeycomb Honeybee Insect
Bee Honeycomb Honeybee Insect Beehive
Bee Insect Honeybee Beehive Honeycomb

I hope all is well in your world.

Alex

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Nice photos! Sounds and looks like you have some great genetics!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts