Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D WOW A swarm just showed up in my back yard! My doughter found it around 7:00 this evening in a tree about 7 feet off the ground. A nice big swarm somewhere between volleyball and a basket ball in size. I got a cardboard box under the cluster and started dragging them down. Then they got pissed, which I wasn’t expecting. Good thing I had put some armor on (a vale, gloves and a long sleeve shirt). They stung my gloves dozens of time and even got inside my vale and tagged me on the top of my head:pinch:. I got my first feel for minor stings through the cloths in 5-6 places (just a wiggle and stinger is out). The weather was a little cool, ~50F I'd say and the sun was just going down. It’s my guess that that’s the reason they were a little sting happy.:scratch: Anyway, I dumped them into a topbar hive that I built last year that was only a few feet from the swarm. I hope they like it and stay. I must have got the queen because most of the flyers are going into the TB hive. I didn’t have any sugar water to feed them so that will have to be tomorrow after they cool down. But tonight I'm feeling good. :cool: Jerry

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
:applause:Good job Jerry. Is there any drawn comb in your TB hive? If you just built it maybe not. What type of feeder is used on a top bar hive? Hopefully they will calm down once they get busy setting up their new home. Good luck, keep us informed about the comb building. :popcorn:I am interested in moving towards foundationless comb over the next three to five years as the older comb gets changed out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts