Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife sent me this picture earlier this week, these poor girls picked a drive thru at Starbucks to stage. This was at noon. Lots of people taking pictures while they waited for their half-caf-skinny-mocha-grande-latte, with their windows UP!
She asked if she could come back and gather them up. They had already contacted their property management people and someone was on the way to get them, from over 2 hours away!
The removal has to be done by a licensed, insured company. Corporate liability, lawsuit concerns etc.
A co worker told her she had seen a swarm on the exact same post last year.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I would have went back and took them with out asking they would have drove all that way for nothing lol. oops they must have flew off....that would have been a quick catch took all about 30 seconds..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was no way for me to break away from work. I told my wife to ask them for a big cardboard box and some tape.
Don't tell them what you're doing, just grab them, eat your lunch and leave.
If they say anything say you're sorry and tell them you'll put them back ;)
Nobody is going to bother the cute gal eating a scone with a box full of bees.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I wonder could that swarm be taken off that post by taking a large garbage with a drawstring top, slip loosely over the swarm, draw the drawstring closed below them and slide the bag slowly up. As you get to the top, cinch the bag closed.

Now of course, the bees would have to get out of the bag soon to not suffocate. But a transfer to a suitable container could be worked out.

What do you think? Would the garbage bag work?

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I wonder could that swarm be taken off that post by taking a large garbage with a drawstring top, slip loosely over the swarm, draw the drawstring closed below them and slide the bag slowly up. As you get to the top, cinch the bag closed.

Now of course, the bees would have to get out of the bag soon to not suffocate. But a transfer to a suitable container could be worked out.

What do you think? Would the garbage bag work?

a pillow case would work great

·
Registered
329 Posts
Interesting....always two sides to a story. Better to save judgment until all the facts are out.
That's certainly what I took away from it. Lots of those cases, I never knew the facts. The media is too busy guiding our opinion or sensationalizing things to give you all the facts.

·
Registered
252 Posts
that may be, but come on... its a honeybee swarm. If I ran a business and I had someone come by and said "hey, I'll take that swarm off your hands, no charge" I should be able to say "go ahead, its yours" without fear of getting sued because some idiot bystander got stung and was allergic while being 5ft from the removal. I shouldnt have to wait two hours for some "professional" to do the exact same job as Joe would have done, without the charge.

·
Registered
329 Posts
that may be, but come on... its a honeybee swarm. If I ran a business and I had someone come by and said "hey, I'll take that swarm off your hands, no charge" I should be able to say "go ahead, its yours" without fear of getting sued because some idiot bystander got stung and was allergic while being 5ft from the removal. I shouldnt have to wait two hours for some "professional" to do the exact same job as Joe would have done, without the charge.
You don't, unless you are run by a corporate overlord that says you do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts