Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I get stung in the nostrils, often. Sometimes several times per day. The crotch location, only a few times, per year. One of them being last night - while helping a fellow beekeeper unload his, possibly AHB colonies, he was delivering to me, so I could tame them (convert back to EHB). I was still wearing shorts, but afterwards, went in and changed to long pants.

Neither location has any more effect than one on the back of my hand (which is a momentary sharp pain, then "nothing".)

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Neither location has any more effect than one on the back of my hand (which is a momentary sharp pain, then "nothing".)
"I heard you got bitten by a king cobra," says Stallone. "Yeah," replies Norris. "But after several days of excruciating pain, the cobra died."

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
As someone who has been stung pretty much everywhere, I will generally agree with his assessment and kudos to the guy for fearlessness. I would suggest staying away from loose fitting boxers in favor of "****** tighties" in the bee yard if you aren't securely tying your pant legs. However in my mind all stings are not created equal, some are inexplicably more painful and may cause swelling while another in the same general location may have little pain or swelling. Under the fingernail is particularly painful. A well placed sting under a toenail suffered while wearing some shoddy footwear in the extracting room is one I have never forgotten.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
As someone who has been stung pretty much everywhere, I will generally agree with his assessment and kudos to the guy for fearlessness.
Mike Smith is an Ithaca local, and a known joker. This was a highly unscientific study, he should have done a poll. Also, he left out major pressure points. My least favorite is under the fingernails.

I generally wear high top boots, with extra long jeans, which hardly ever let a bee in. They usually don't get past my knee before they get swatted. Although I know plenty of people who work bees in shorts, in the summer.

PLB

·
Registered
746 Posts
I got stung inside my left nostril last year and it felt like getting punched by Mike Tyson! Absolutely the worst I've ever had (though granted I've never gotten one in the crotch).

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I haven't been stung in BOTH places, but I have been punched in both places. I'll take the nose.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts