Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went into my sole hive yesterday to reverse the boxes and to remove the winter sugar and pollen patty. Because of time and temperature constraints, I was not able to go through the frames completely, but I saw no brood in the few frames I did examing. What I did see, however, concerns me: There was a single queen cell being built on the bottom of the inner cover. Is the colony in trouble? What recommendations do you have for how I proceed from here? If they are queenless, what kind of time constraints am I working under?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
my guess is you are mistaken about what you saw-they dont put queen cells there. most likely "burr" comb. wait till the temps are in the 50's and look for eggs- thats the proof of queenrightness. good luck,mike

·
Registered
379 Posts
Ok i have one maybe you can help me with i found a queen cell in m hive today d it was capped. But the queen in the hive is last year and she was laying a good solid brood pattern last fall. Well i looked today and she is sarting to really lay and some capped brood and she is expanding her laying pattern. They did the same thing last year with another queen that was laying wall to wall why are they keep trying to replace queens that are doing very well.

THOMAS

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Do a split Thomas, take a couple of frames out with Nurse bees and the queen cell and split them. Put them in a Nuc....and No, have no idea why. Did the end up supercedeing your old wueen last year? Look at it this way, they are doing what a lot of beeks do.....replace the queen every year..>LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts