Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I found a roach under the inner cover. This is actually a clear plexi inner cover that I picked up somewhere. It's easy to see the bees without any gear at all. Anyway that's beside the point. I saw a wood? roach under the inner cover. If the roach got near any bees they'd chase him (her?) but didn't try to kill it. When it ran away the bees lost interest. The roach found a spot with no bees and just stayed put. I suspect when the top cover is put back, the roach will climb up between inner cover and the top.

Any ideas for countermeasures? Ground pesticide? Roach motels around the hive?

I need to mention that this hive is the only one that survived the winter, but it is about the most docile group of bees I've ever encountered.

I certainly would like to eliminate all roaches INSIDE the hive.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Rick

·
Registered
42 Posts
i noticed the same thing this spring..i never know what i'm going to find when i open my hives...i've seen insects i've never seen before and some of them are pretty big. I just try my best to kill them everytime I can and i'm opening the hives every week to try to keep them under control. so far so good. i killed a pretty good size spider the other day

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Big strong colonies usually don't tolerate roaches in the accessible parts of the hive. I will at times find them in small nucs. My belief is its usually a sign that there's too much real estate for the bee population. I don't know of any harm roaches are to the hive. I'd make sure that your bees don't have too much space to defend. If space is good, then you can probably not worry about them.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My belief is its usually a sign that there's too much real estate for the bee population. I don't know of any harm roaches are to the hive. I'd make sure that your bees don't have too much space to defend. If space is good, then you can probably not worry about them.
I wondered that about the space. All they have are two deeps and one super. This hive just hasn't seemed to build up either. I may need to requeen it. That'll be a first too. But it is such a gentle hive I hate to do that - they're such a joy to work. But that may be their downfall too - can a hive be too gentle for their own good?

Has anyone put any traps/baits around for roaches? Would it even be effective?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Why all the Box's ?.?.?????

For a hive that won't build

,don't ya'know
To much room will retard Growth

·
Registered
194 Posts
I find a roach here and there too, on top of the inner cover and below the telescoping top. I remove them when I inspect, but I have not seem them bother the bees. I do wonder how they get in - march right through the front door?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
When I see a roach in one of my boxes I always laugh and say to myself, that must be a Large Hive Beetle.

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
You see them from time to time. More so in smaller hives in relation to the space they occupy. I know of no harm that they do. Attempts to poison them may well backfire on you.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I see them all the time when I go into my hives. And I am happy. I'd MUCH rather see them than hive beetles!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts