·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my experience, a big maybe, still waiting....I thought it was amusing thay he made a chart of that. Hey, why dont you use some duct tape and a sharpie? for your hives of course :)

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,537 Posts
I think the apex of "I know it all" comes a little sooner. You tube makes a lot of instant experts willing to provide advice on topics in which they have no first hand experience. I may have been guilty of this crime in the past myself. The period of enlightenment begins when you realize that half of what you thought you knew is pure garbage and you're not so sure about the other half.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Its called the Dunning Kruger effect if any one wants to delve into the psychology behind it

I was certainly an expert by the end of my 2nd year... 2 years behind me of razing queens with cut strips and growing my numbers with almost no losses ..
I had learned it all... Langs were bad, if you don't treat for mites your don't need to, the bees will take care of them self's

The pit of disillusionment hit hard, 3 years of 100% losses

·
Registered
585 Posts
So, I can hope to be productive this year? Yes!!

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the apex of "I know it all" comes a little sooner. You tube makes a lot of instant experts willing to provide advice on topics in which they have no first hand experience. I may have been guilty of this crime in the past myself. The period of enlightenment begins when you realize that half of what you thought you knew is pure garbage and you're not so sure about the other half.
My sentiments also; Im still stuck on the drone brood I saw that just looked so weird to me..

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think I laughed too hard at this. I've just gotten on the plateau...being productive, but still asking myself if im just a bad beekeeper.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Year 2 was bad, 100% loss by fall. Lesson, some swarms are so bad they kill your other bees too by dragging in mites and diseases. Year 3 was when I started learning a bit and increasing numbers. Now year 4. I know everything and just ask, I'll tell you the right answer!

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
If 12 years is the magic number I am almost there, 11 years of doing the first year over and over again.

·
Registered
363 Posts
This is great, and so far has followed my experience exactly. I am definitely in my 4th year pit right now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts