Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question about supers and frames- After I added my second medium super this past summer the bees in one of my hives started "glueing" the bottoms of the frames in the top super to the tops of teh frames in bottom super with burr comb. Made it difficult to pull the supers off to extract honey and a mess to clean up afterward. Any idea why they did this or how to prevent it in the future?

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
You'll always get some of that, especially if you don't separate the boxes for a while. Some of my colonies do it more than others. Some of my older boxes seem to encourage it, perhaps due to "bee space" violation where the bottoms of the top frames are not properly spaced from the top of the bottom frames (now there's a confusing sentence!). I never worry too much about preventing it. When you notice a lot of resistance as you're pulling a box, just "twist" the box you're removing. That helps the comb separate from the frames and you won't yank the bottom frames out as you lift the upper box off. While you have them separated, you can scrape the tops AND bottoms of all the frames to help clean things up a little. Toss the scraped wax in a bucket and save it!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Frequently they build burr comb because there isn't enough storage space for them. In some respects, especially at the beginning of a honey flow, it's better to have too much space, than not enough.

·
Premium Member
8,315 Posts
Be careful when you give that top super a healthy twist. You can twist the bottom box off of the bottom board. Not a major deal, but it's a pain to try and line it up again when you have 2 or 3 boxes askew.

I made a garrote out of a couple of pieces of dowel and weed whacker line. Just pry a corner up, slip the line in between the boxes, leave the hive tool in as a wedge and slice all the way through. It works pretty slick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts