Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I have a question about queens. I did a couple of splits on the 17th, put the old queen in a nuc. Waited till the colony created some queen cells and did three 5 frame splits.
I checked today and all the splits have queens. One looks like I'm used to, long and fat. The others are not quite as fat and stubby but definitely queens.
Is it possible the two stubby ones haven't mated yet, or are they just small?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked, but I can't reliably see eggs, and this is dark comb so it's hard to get light to shine through.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just an update for you smile emoticon Last inspection, the NUC from the existing queen is going nuts!

Split one: about 3 frames of bees and a Laying Queen (gave them a frame of capped brood from the NUC)

Split two: 4-5 frames of bees and a Laying Queen!

Split three: (original hive location) two boxes of bees, lots of honey and a small patch of eggs. I think the hive was almost honey bound so I added some empty frames and drawn comb between the honey full frames. I'll see what I get in a week or so.

Summary: Four fat beautiful queens and surprisingly gentle bees!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Congratulations! Patience is a hard thing to do when growing queens, at least for me. More often than not, when given a little more time, things work out.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
good work. sustainable beekeeping. start getting your equipment ready if you don't have boxes already. plus you have a flow soon.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fortunately, I've got enough equipment I think, Though, I'd love to split like this again before winter so I probably need to make some more :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts