Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of resource hives (4x4 nucs) in my yards. Yesterday I found that one of the nucs (a triple decker) appears to be without a queen. There's a small amount of capped brood, but no eggs or larvae. Plenty of bees. They seem to be back filling a lot of available comb. I know I have to check for queen very carefully, or wait a little longer to see if a queen lays. They've been queenless for at least 10 days, but given the small amount of capped brood I'd say it's probably about 18-21 days.

Assuming, though, that there is no queen, it's too late in the season to have them make their own queen; and at this point don't want to buy a new queen. So I'd rather distribute the bees and frames among other hives. They can live up to their true destiny.

Here's my question: What's the best way to do this? With no eggs or larvae, I can't say which bees are nurse bees and which might be prone to fighting in a new hive. Or can I? Would doing a newspaper combine be the best way? A newspaper combine with a few frames here and there? Or could I in fact just put 1 or 2 frames with bees in another hive without worry?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Liberally dust all frames involved in the transfer and frames neighboring the transfer with powdered sugar. By the time they clean up they are friends.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vance G
THAT is an interesting idea!

I've transferred many frames of larvae and bees and of brood without bees, but this one stumped me. Thanks.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Sugar dusting all the bees sounds easy but so is shaking all the bees into one 4 frame box and using newspaper to build up a smaller nuc.
Individual frames with no bees could be placed anywhere.
You have many options.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts