Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just started beekeeping a month ago and am wondering about the buildup of burr comb on the frames of lower box.Its my impression most beekeepers remove it however some say it forms a bridge from the lower brood box to the upper and makes things easier on the queen.And before someone asks I put a second deep on so soon because the bees brought in so much nectar and pollen in the first three weeks they filled almost all the comb and started building fresh comb on the inner cover and on the lid. Should the comb be removed or is it ok to leave it? >https://www.beesource.com/forums/album.php?albumid=593&attachmentid=57049<

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,279 Posts
I like to keep things as tidy as I can. Enough problems with propolis already. Burr comb is only a problem if it makes it difficult for you to preform the necessary inspections. I do find that drone comb between the upper and lower frames becomes a problem when you lift the upper frame and rip open the comb. Pisses the girls off something terrible. Otherwise, regular ladder comb is fine. Just put the frames back in the same location and orientation.

Just went to your album and looked at the picture. I would scrape that off. Also clean up the inside of the inner cover.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Agreed. I try to get rid of the comb between the two boxes whenever present. As JWP said, breaking that does have a tendency to upset them. I sometimes have the between-box burr comb when I haven’t checked the bottom box for a while. Particularly in my first hive checks in late winter. When I see it, I usually clean it off. A little smoke and a quick scrape will take care of it.

I also try to pay attention to the propolis that glues the frames together where the frames contact each other. You don’t have to scrape those surfaces every time, but if you let it build up too much and then clean it, it will reduce the bee space between the opposing comb faces once you do clean them.

As far as smaller burr comb on top of the frames and whatnot, I clean it if I have time, and if I am in a cleaning mood....which admittedly doesn’t happen too often. 😊

Ryan

·
Registered
Two 8-frame Langstroth hives
218 Posts
I'll add my 2 cents, and perspective from a fellow beginner.

In my first year I was reluctant to remove much burr comb. Partly because I was naive, and partly because I believed that bees shouldn't be disturbed as much. That however made my hives a nightmare to manage.

I now scrape off all the burr comb compulsively. It has made my hive management a lot more enjoyable.

BTW, do not throw away that burr comb. Store it away sealed from wax moths until you have enough worth rendering. It's surprising how quickly it accumulates.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts