Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Queen is crawling over the top of the swarm when the old truck pulls in. I see her and she crawls for me in a queen cage. I put her into the cardboard box and her smell will usually speed the bees into their temporary box.

When we get home, I tuck them away somewhere warm and go to bed. This AM I go out and open the box intending to do a newspaper combine with a queenless hive I have. The queen is curled up dead. Oh No!

She slides from the cage into my hand, not moving. While walking up the driveway I toss her unceremoniously on the ground and continue walking to my truck wondering where I will find another queen.

I make it to the truck, hesitate and go to find her. Look about on the ground and spot her, pick her up and take her to my truck. I think of something I read about and recall that they can re-animate when warmed if they are only chilled and not dead. I hold her, cupped in my hands and breath softly over her. I think her leg twitches. It is probbley my old truck causing her to vibrate with the engine....
I blow on her again, cupping her in my hands closely and blowing slowly. I look at her, watching. There, I know I saw her leg move this time. I cup and blow slowly again. She vibrates, moves her legs and then, sticks out her tonge at me. I hold her a minute more to warm her and I feel her crawling on my hand and fingers, then I slip her into the cage again.

She was taken to the hive, released and welcomed into her original swarm. She will become queen of her swarm and the old queenless hive as well. Her kingdom has grown larger already.

Left for dead and now a Queen. Long Live the Queen!

Wow a new bee movie.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I was at my hive in December and it was blistering cold out. I saw a bee come out of the landing board and try to fly, got knocked to the ground by a wind gust. I thought she'll get back up. So i went back to repairing the fence. About 3 hrs later i walked by carrying a board, and saw her on her side just laying there. Dead, probably. So for giggles i icked her upm and was gonna show my sons and i saw the same thing, leg twitch. Cupped her in my hand, breathed heavily as i cupped her and she started moving. So i did it some more. This went on for a minute or 2, and she flew back into the hive....i thought...hmmm.....cool. This happened again about 3 weeks later when i found one on the landing board, so I did it again. She came alive, looked at me, then immeditaly sank her stinger right into my fingertip......win some lose some...LOL. Man, i love these bugs.....LOL.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
While walking up the driveway I toss her unceremoniously on the ground and continue walking to my truck wondering where I will find another queen....

...She vibrates, moves her legs and then, sticks out her tonge at me.
I would have stuck my tongue out at you too, ...and worse! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts