Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 3 hives averaging a quart of sugar syrup a day. Is this normal? They are new hives. Why that much?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Yip have some take a half gallon a day they need syrup/ nectar to draw comb and raise brood you are probably in a dearth they usually quit taking it when a flow is on

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I've got 3 hives averaging a quart of sugar syrup a day. Is this normal? They are new hives. Why that much?

Thanks.
Splits or packages less than 3 weeks old? When they are not taking that much either the flow is on hard, the placement is incorrect, or something is wrong with the bees. Be thankful!!! its a good sign until you get to the point of blocking brood out. If you go so far as that then you can write the next chapter in your book.

·
Registered
739 Posts
It's okay Southwings, at one point my three hives were each downing almost 2 qts a day. when it went down to 1/2 qt a day I knew something was blooming. Then I took them off syrup altogether. Mine were 2 pkgs and a nuc, got the pkgs April 13th and the nuc a week later. They came off the syrup around May 30th

1 - 5 of 5 Posts