Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am starting back into beekeeping after about 25 years away from it. I plan on using 4 medium depth supers for the brood box, partly because it will be easier on my old back lifting mediums instead of full deeps; and partly because I am thinking of going foundationless, and treating for mites with Apivar in the fall.

That is where my question comes in. I plan on using small cell foundation for the two center frames so the bees will have some wax to get started on and then cutting vertical strips of small cell foundation as a guide for the rest of the frames. I have a package coming in May.

Will the bees draw out small cell foundation? And will one vertical strip of foundation, maybe an inch or two wide be enough to get them started with straight comb?

I never had to deal with these challenges back in the day. All we did was treat for foul brood then, keep watch for the occasional bear and once in a great while have a hive starve or throw a swarm. Things have sure changed.

Thanks, Arnie

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
53,990 Posts
>Will the bees draw out small cell foundation?

First they will draw the foundationless. They almost never prefer foundation.

> And will one vertical strip of foundation, maybe an inch or two wide be enough to get them started with straight comb?

1" will work fine. 3/4" will work fine. A wood strip will work better. Just rotate the wedge 90 degrees on it's axis and nail it back in.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Michael, thanks.
I just saw your post about Mann Lake PF120 frames. Would that be a good alternative? More expensive but easier, with less monitoring of progress when the bees are drawing comb.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
53,990 Posts
The advantage of the PF120s is that they draw it small on the first try so you get small bees right off. With foundationless, you can't really tell for sure if they will go small enough the first try. Some do, and some don't. Both work. I do a lot of both.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The advantage of the PF120s is that they draw it small on the first try so you get small bees right off. With foundationless, you can't really tell for sure if they will go small enough the first try. Some do, and some don't. Both work. I do a lot of both.
Thanks, that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts