Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm near Seattle and my honey has always been a light color, as it was earlier in the summer. I figure it's probably a combination of blackberry and wildflower.

I just harvested again with frames from late August and for the first time it's really dark. I'm puzzled as to what that could be.

light-dark honey.jpg

·
Registered
148 Posts
We don't have any Buckwheat (makes a very dark honey) growing in my area, but the last two years we've suddenly gotten very dark honey in late August.
It's from a local explosion of Japanese Knotweed (some call it Red Bamboo). It's considered an invasive plant and it makes a very dark and more robust flavor honey.
It's the most popular honey with my customers. It blooms at the end of summer, about the same time as Goldenrod.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Is this the first year you have separated your Spring harvest from the fall? Honeydew makes a very dark honey, otherwise it must be something different blooming. The honey color here changes through the Spring with a definite lightening trend as the years go by. The Fall honey is always very 011 (640x506).jpg dark.

Alex

1 - 4 of 4 Posts