Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
> Why are hives assembled with nails and not wood screws?

All my boxes ARE assembled with glue and screws.

The higher cost of screws is paid back through
the longer serviceable life of the box. As far
as assembly time goes, I'd say it is a wash,
assuming that the stock is pre-drilled with "pilot
holes" (as are all the store-bought boxes), and
one uses a cordless screwdriver with an adjustable
"max torque" setting.

One can speed assembly even more by using a small
paintbrush to apply the glue, and square-drive
screws.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
> and takes more time to assembly with screws.

Even with using a drill?

So, if I wanted to assemble my hives with screws, there would be no reason not to?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Sorry, I should have been more specific.

I was speaking of the equipment that you buy pre-assembled. Most of the pre-assembled equipment is done so with pneumatic nail guns.

So even thou you can use a screw gun, the nail guns are faster.

All of my assembled boxes are screwed and glued. I am looking at service life, vs. speed on how many boxes I can put together in an hour.

Pre-drill the screw holes, get a good glue, and your boxes will hold together alot longer.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Expansion and contraction of the wood due to temp and humidity can cause the screws to back out because they have a better grip on the wood. Nails tend to move with the wood. glue would lessen the effect.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have heard that screws will back out and have yet to see one back out. Screws hold much better than nails. I have alot of boxes to assemble and will most likely use my cordless drills once again even though I have access to a nailer.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Come to think of it I have seen screws back out on metal roofs screwed into wood. So it may be more of an issue of the metal expanding faster than the wood.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
It's much quicker and easier to put them togeter with a staple gun. It's much stronger to use glue and screws. But the screws take much more work. You need to countersink the holes, so the screws don't split the wood, and you need to screw each one in which takes much longer than just hitting it with a staple gun.

You can countsink and screw them after you buy them regardless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts