Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today one of my hives swarmed. I just inspected the hive on thursday, but didn't pay much attention for swarm cells(just checked for the queen). Well my bad beekeeping payed off when they swarmed this afternoon. Today I looked in and saw about 4 or 5 swarm cells, one was capped, and the others all had larvae.

My question is this:

I have six queens shipping from strachans on 6/6, next day shipment.

Should I destroy the queen cells, or just leave them?

I would like to leave the queen cells, and allow the queen to open mate. The queen which swarmed was of russian genetics. Originally I was going to make nucs out of the hive that swarmed. I just wanted to know what others on this site would do if in this situation.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I'd make a couple nucs at least. It's always nice to have extra queens. Maybe in mating nucs if you're low on bees. never know when a queen will be needed by you or someone in your club.

Hawk

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
In addition to additional swarm cells you may have virgins queens running around also. ( I've seen as many as 9 virgins in swarm hive) They and the queen cells will be mothers of the 3, 4 or 5 after swarms that will really deplete your population. I would make nucs and quick, use your swarm cells and some foundation to keep them busy in the mean time. If you have room make a cirlce around the orginal location with your nucs equal distance from the entrance location. Watch the bees and adjust the hives until the bees have difficulty orienting. This will give you good equal splits. Move all but 1 to 2 miles for a day or 2 and then back to the orginal yard in a new location. Put 1 hive on the orginal stand and you're all set. Good Luck!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The hive which swarmed was a five frame nuc that I placed into a 10 frame deep two weeks ago. They have drawn out all but two frames in the deep. I was going to add a medium to the hive, but decide not to since my queens would be here next week.

How many nucs could I make out of this hve? I am assuming that the max would be 4 nucs, 2 frames each.

Joel,

Would you allow these nucs to requeen themselves or just requeen them when the queens arrive next week?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts