Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

461 - 465 of 465 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #463 ·
Finally started to do some samples again after a 2 week break. Its been dry here, no nectar for a while and the bees are grumpy. Its thrown a curveball at my nuc starting attempts. My last batch were hit hard by big hives during this dry period. It has rained a bit, nectar is coming in, and I am raising queens again after a 1 week break.

Anyway, mites are still low. Not detected in 3 of 4 samples, Two samples did not have a sugar wash, nor drone samples. The colony with mites had 2 mites in a sugar wash (300 bees), 2 mites in 60 drone pupae, and 1 mite in 142 worker pupae.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Anyway, mites are still low. Not detected in 3 of 4 samples, Two samples did not have a sugar wash, nor drone samples. The colony with mites had 2 mites in a sugar wash (300 bees), 2 mites in 60 drone pupae, and 1 mite in 142 worker pupae.
Looking good...

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #465 ·
I resampled a colony that I had red flagged earlier. It did have higher mite counts than its peers, about 10 percent in drones, and 4 percent in worker brood. The sugar shake what not outrageous, 4 mites, a little over 1 percent. I removed the frame of drone brood for a second time as I was sampling.

Anyway, our flow is starting so I shook the brood nest into a single box with only drone comb, putting the brood above an excluder. It will be a semi brood break. Only drones can be produced, which will be removed and sampled as they are capped. I will be doing this to all colonies with high mite counts as I find them.

461 - 465 of 465 Posts