Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am having a slight problem I checked my 2 hives today and noticed that the brood is not up to where I think it should be but this is my first spring. For some reason the girls is putting honey under the brood and I noticed that the brood is awful high on the frames. The brood looks good but a little spotty. There is a little eggs in them and larva and capped brood also. I left the sugar on the hives from winter and one hive has almost eat it all.

I guess what the questions are, is the queen going to move the brood down and the workers move the honey up on later in the year or is there a problem that I need to fix.

Is the brood normal for this time of year up here in Southwest Virginia.

With the sugar do I need to take it off or leave it.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
sounds like you may have drone brood there. if you're not sure, google "drone brood" and look at some pictures. good luck,mike

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't think the bees read the books we get. If the brood looks good I wouldn't worry that they are putting in honey under where the brood is. I bet they lower area just matured out and the workers are filling it with honey as the brood area moves up. I'd add another deep, or medium or what ever you want if all the frames are full. If the temps are warm the queen may be ready to create more brood area and she won't have any room if the workers are filling it all in with nectar (happened to me with two deeps my first spring!)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Usually bees store honey at the tops of the frames with brood? As Mike Haney suggested, it could be drone brood. Drones use a much bigger cell size. It might be as simple as seeing if they are large cells or smaller cells. Next time your in the hive looking at frames try to make a concise effort to recognize the smaller worker cells from the larger drone cells. You'll see what I mean... Also, if the brood is capped, the drone brood will protrude from the comb like a 22 bullet. The worker brood will be flush with the comb.

Here's a pick of drone brood...

http://mistressbeek.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/beelesson-dronebrood.jpg

Here's a pic of worker brood...

http://mistressbeek.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/beelesson-workerbrood.jpg

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
If the bees intend to expand brood down, they will put nectar there first. It's the same as growing upward into thinned honey. They will do this if they are restricted from expanding upward. Be patient, and provide more space at the top.

Walt

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Mine honeybound themselves in 3 days.....all of a sudden when i checked them yesterday, no queen to be found, anywhere, and let me tell you, i looked hard

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am going to add shallows on tomorrow and I think that will help my problem. I thing with all the post that sounds like the logical thing to do is add more space.

I thank everyone for the info. If it weren't for ya'll I would bee lost. The girls also thank ya'll too.:D

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
You said most beeks in your area run 2 story brood nests, and you have a one story hive. My suggestion would be to add the second brood box, and encourage them to grow into it, then add your surplus supers after that second story is full of bees... If you add foundation, you'll want to feed to help them build up quicker.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts