Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I was to do a walk away split this weekend (June7-8) would the split be able to have enough time to hatch a queen and build a strong enough hive to get through winter? I have plenty of sugar to feed them until winter so that is not aqn issue i'm just not sure there is time.

What do you think? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
"What do you think? Thanks in advance."
I would see if a had a capped queen cell I could give it from the original hive or another hive. If not, I would still make the split if I needed the hive. (My goal is to have a dozen hives; I currently have about 20.) There should be drone for mating and plenty of time to produce winter stores. If there is an exceptional draught, you could feed (as you noted) if you had to or you may be able to supplement with winter stores from another particularly well stocked hive.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm in southwest MO. not too far from you. I raise my own queens and I routinely start some nucs after the summer solstice and again around the first of August.

With some sugar and sometimes a little help from an existing hive I can have these in a ten frame deep before frost.

I have no problems wintering these here. I'll feed some 1/1 when the temps get above 50 deg in the spring.
Have your boxes ready. These young overwintered hives tend to explode in the spring.
Woody Roberts

1 - 4 of 4 Posts