Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In December after treating for mites, I Pour 25 pounds of sugar into several 5 gallon buckets. (25lbs/bucket) then pour 1,000ml of hot apple cider brown vinegar all over the top of it in each bucket. 1,000ml per bucket then on the first day that I can open my hives in January each hive gets 2 scoops of this on wax paper. It seems to really help the bees. I do this on the lightest hives. I think the bees in these hives do well on this feed, I repeat each time it is warm enough to open the hives. Next year I will add it to at least 100 colonies in December as it is easier to make than the bricks. Will sprinkle AP23 on top of this 1tblespoon in February. I did this last year and it really boosted my bees and helped me at splitting time with creating nucs to sale. Thoughts, Recommendations???? It is simple.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In December after treating for mites, I Pour 25 pounds of sugar into several 5 gallon buckets. (25lbs/bucket) then pour 1,000ml of hot apple cider brown vinegar all over the top of it in each bucket. 1,000ml per bucket then on the first day that I can open my hives in January each hive gets 2 scoops of this on wax paper. It seems to really help the bees. I do this on the lightest hives. I think the bees in these hives do well on this feed, I repeat each time it is warm enough to open the hives. Next year I will add it to at least 100 colonies in December as it is easier to make than the bricks. Will sprinkle AP23 on top of this 1tblespoon in February. I did this last year and it really boosted my bees and helped me at splitting time with creating nucs to sale. Thoughts, Recommendations???? It is simple.
I am going to try this.

·
Registered
6,959 Posts
Recommendations? Keep on doing what works. I do something similar here when lack of stores as colder winter weather gets going.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have done much the same recipe for years, but in the form of "soft" sugar cubes. I add them by the handful. Bees love 'em.. Made up a batch today and they are giving up moisture on top of the water heater tonight, and I'll put them in the hives tomorrow with a 1" spacer.

Cheers,
Steve
===

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Remember there is no need to stir the vinegar will trickle down through to the bottom eventually and it will have inverted the sugar when it gets to the bottom. It keeps for months like that, and scoop stir and it is ready to go.

·
Registered
Right now,one hive consisting of two 10 frame deeps of an Ohio swarm of muttsutts.
187 Posts
What would be the formula for just a couple hives with that recipe? Say just one hive through the winter months.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What would be the formula for just a couple hives with that recipe? Say just one hive through the winter months.
I would do 8 pounds of sugar and add 8 oz of the cider vinegar. In the spring you can liquify all that is left and use for early spring buildup Not sure what zone you line in. Also mix it in a smaller bucket or tub. I remember when I started, enjoy your bees.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I make much the same recipe with the final product being in the form of "bricks" or "cubes" and use apple cider vinegar as the only liquid. Bees love them.
Steve

·
Registered
933 Posts
The same "Nope" answer goes for the cubes, although I commonly add a "splash" of olive oil to the mix as a precaution, and I do "dry" the cubes overnight in the furnace room.
Steve

·
Registered
127 Posts
There were some warnings regarding the pH of what you feed the bugs. Has anyone checked?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does this recipe not get hard after pouring the vinegar in?
Nope I poured 4 buckets up last year near the end of February and did not use 1 bucket. I used that bucket this past December because I always put a lid on the mix. It was still not hard, eventually the vinegar finds the bottom of the sugar and you can use a spoon to re- mix the mix. It had been sitting in my metal bee shed 10 months and i just used a scoop to remix and fed it all to bees and they liked it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts