Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just giving the greatest New Years gift in the world! My first grandchild! My question is would it be alright for a nursing mother to eat raw honey? I know that a pregnant woman should not eat raw honey and a child under 1 should not eat raw honey. My daughter loves honey and has been wanting it for the past 9 months and I am not going to give her any until I know that it wont have any effect on my Granddaughter. :scratch:
Thanks,
Marc

·
Registered
118 Posts
I asked my wife since we just had our first not that long ago and she was on top of this kind of stuff like it was nobodies business. She said that there is not enough data to prove one way or the other so she recommended she error on the safe side and do not eat honey while nursing.

·
Registered
574 Posts
The problem with raw honey for infants is that it contains botulin spores... but so does any raw fruit or vegetable. Which is why infants aren't fed raw fruits or vegetables until they are at least 18 months old (which is also when you can give them honey). Any time it is ok for the mother to eat those other foods, it is ok for her to also eat honey.

I don't know much about breastfeeding however, so you should consult a physician to find out whether or not it's ok for her to consume any of those foods while breastfeeding.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Honey is not a problem for mom to eat. The gut flora of adults and children over a year old are able to fend off the botulism spores that may be present in honey, and render them harmless. Since the spores would be killed in your gastrointestinal tract, they would not make it into your bloodstream and therefore cannot be present in your milk.

A baby's gut can't defend itself against the botulism spores, and so they can colonize the intestinal tract, germinate and release botulinum neurotoxin. As a result, honey is not recommended for babies under a year old. It's recommended that you avoid giving baby anything that contains honey, or make sure that the cooking process kills any botulism spores that might be present. To kill botulism spores, the food must be cooked at 240 degrees Fahrenheit (this requires a pressure cooker) for at least 15 minutes. Botulism spores are very heat resistant - it takes more than six hours of boiling at 212 degrees Fahrenheit to kill the spores. The toxin is less resistant - boiling foods (at 212 degrees Fahrenheit) for 10 minutes will destroy the toxin.

from kellymom.com....

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Perfectly safe for a nursing mother to eat honey.

Q: I know that honey is not a safe food for babies. Is it okay for a breastfeeding mother to eat honey? Can botulism be transmitted in my breast milk? Should I continue to breastfeed my infant through his/her illness with infant botulism?
A: Yes, it is ok for a breastfeeding mother to eat honey. Botulism is not transmitted by breast milk. The Infant Botulism Treatment and Prevention Program recommends continuing breast feeding or the feeding of expressed breast milk during the illness and recovery from infant botulism.
As always, thorough hand washing practices should be strictly adhered to, especially in households where honey is regularly consumed by family members and other caregivers. Doing so will help prevent having honey on surfaces that may come into contact with the infant’s mouth.
Although the bacterial spores that cause infant botulism are known to occasionally be present in honey, even if a mother was to eat botulism spores in honey, the spores are far too large to pass through her body and into breast milk. Also, botulinum toxin does not pass into breast milk. For this and other reasons, breast milk is not a source of the bacterial spores or the toxin that cause infant botulism.
As stated in the patient management section of our website, breast milk constitutes optimal nutrition for infants, and mothers should be encouraged and supported in their efforts to continue breastfeeding through their infant’s illness and recovery.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I was just giving the greatest New Years gift in the world! My first grandchild! My question is would it be alright for a nursing mother to eat raw honey? I know that a pregnant woman should not eat raw honey and a child under 1 should not eat raw honey. My daughter loves honey and has been wanting it for the past 9 months and I am not going to give her any until I know that it wont have any effect on my Granddaughter. :scratch:
Thanks,
Marc
infants uner one year are to not eat honey period the reason why is from the botulisim bactiria that can be in honey and infants don't have the strong digestive track to fight it off. as for pregant women no problems, nursing moms ok to eat too.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all of the replies, just a worried Grandpa that has waited too long for this little bundle of joy. Would hate to do anything that would hurt her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts