Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be assembling some "Miller Style" feeders and I've had an idea for that might be useful for Spring/stimulative feeding.

I'm thinking of installing a screened in PVC pipe to give bees (limited) access to the syrup in the spring, while blocking off the main access. Inside pipe circumference to be approx 1/4 to 1/3 of the normal feeding surface...

I'm thinking that by reducing access to the syrup, the supply will be more constant, ie. they won't suck it up and then go without before my next visit. And for fall feeding both feeding surfaces can be available for the bees to pack it in while the weather permits.

Does the idea of a reducing the feeding area (for Spring feeding) have any merit?

·
Registered
717 Posts
You're asking ME?:s

My thought is that they are storing what they are getting anyway at that time of year (spring). I'm not sure that you can control the gluttony of a bee, or if they are gluttons. I know they'll pack it in if available, but I gotta think it is like our doggie bags - we eat what we can/need and then throw the rest in the fridge & I have more than one doggie bag to choose from when I get hungry again.

If they're hungry, they'll eat your syrup (or do they only eat honey and pollen?), or they'll go forage for some, or consume their own stores. Stretching out their available 'food' is not going to change the amount they eat.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be like having an all-you-can-eat buffet except there would only be tables and chairs for 25% of the people.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
The "amount" is often regulated by the number of holes in gravity-style feeders.

Miller style feeders are best used when LOTS of food is needed in a short period of time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts