Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..it landed back on the front of the same hive.

Last weekend I noticed a hive swarming while I was mowing the lawn. I quickly grabbed a box and some frames to get ready to catch them if I could. When they landed back on the hive I started looking for the queen. I noticed her on the front edge of the landing board and tried to grab her. She scooted under the hive between the screen bottom and the sticky board. They rest of the swarm followed her. I didn't think that many bees could fit in that small of a space.

20190623_123421.jpg

I broke down the hive and shook the bottom board into a trash can. I then dumped the bees into the new hive.

20190623_134821.jpg

After a half hour the bees were back under the hive and I realized that I missed the queen. Broke the hive down again and the second time did the trick. I saw the queen on top of one of the frames and made sure she went into the hive. I'm glad I caught them because she is a good queen.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Good thinking with the trash can. I keep an empty storage tote for similar occasions (shaking a swarm out of a tree).

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now what? Aren't they just going to re -try tomorrow? J
They have been in the hive for a week so I guess they liked their new accommodations. Saw new larvae during yesterday's inspection and they're bringing in pollen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts