Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek:I have a herd of feral pigs roaming around my 20 acres and they recently made themselves at home in my bee yard. The hives are not toppled yet, but I believe they could be in danger after seeing a few of these pigs...big, black and destructive. Has anyone had any experience with this type of problem?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Best fix for that is a bullet and a freezer!! They are fair game year round!!!!!!!!!
Yummy!!!!!

Or I could come do it for you?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be quite a trip to the grocery store from Maine to Florida! :)

I did call the State Fish and Wildlife Department this morning and they gave me a name of a trapper who lives a few miles down the road. My son in law said a friend of his had a similar problem and shot them in the rear with bird shot and they went away and did not come back. He wants to try that...but then I'll be calling the trapper to come get as many as he can.

They are coming around our cars and house now, not afraid of anything...I worry mostly about my bees...I only have two hives right now but am setting up two more in a couple of weeks and I don't want to lose them to pigs! If we can't scare them away, I guess there is nothing else to do but either shoot them or trap them. I like to live and let live, but I do love my bees. Any good suggestions are welcome!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Really I have done lots of pig hunting in FL, those things are delish!! As a sportsman, I have to ask that you not do the birdshot. Not nice to let an animal run off get an infection and die a terrible death. I trapper is gonna want money. It would be easy to find someone who would like some fresh pork!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Bhfury- I'm jealous. I just get to stack yote's like cordwood. I wish I could do that with the hogs for my freezer.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I want my baby back, baby back, ribs. Yum. Good eating, and sometimes if the one doing the skinning didn't do a good job you can use the hair to pick your teeth.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You can’t be killing every pig to cross your property for the next decade. Do the same thing we do for black bears, put an electric fence around the hives. Probably run you about $75-100. Only difference is I don’t think you need to hang bacon on it for bait. Maybe hanging bacon on anything will keep them away but I don’t think they’ll draw the connection.:D

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I've never seen pigs bother bee hives but boy are they ever destructive to the land. If you haven't seen their handywork before you would swear a tractor and plow shanks just went through.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, everyone, for the comments! Fred at Naturegoods...the electric fence is a good suggestion. We will give it a try! We will still need to deal with the pigs, but at least the bees will be more safe. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I've never seen pigs bother bee hives but boy are they ever destructive to the land. If you haven't seen their handywork before you would swear a tractor and plow shanks just went through.

I have seen them go through a 1000 acres of barley as if it was hit with a 40' disk.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You might have to go with electric fence, I have used it for farm pigs,
once they get a shot of that, they won't cross the line even after the fence is down. Would be a good investment, likely have more pigs later on and other
pests in your yard anyway it would keep out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts