Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no bees yet but will be getting 2 nucs on April 19th. We have a tree on our property that is just humming with bees. You can stand about 15 feet away and still hear the buzzing! I am not sure what kind of tree it is. My question is would this be a good tree to hang up a nuc in, in order to catch a swarm? It is not a hive tree, the bees are just all over it. I think they are just gathering pollen from it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Any tree or landmark the bees use for navigation or foraging where they can find your trap is a good place for a bait hive. Sounds like this tree is a good spot for the bees to find your trap.

Hang the nuc in the tree facing east and 6-8 feet high. As you don't have bees yet, I'd use foundation on the frames and of course, make sure to bait it with a lure, most use lemongrass oil.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I think I will give it a try. The weather is beautiful here today. It is in the 70s, but its supposed to cool off into the 50s by next week. I guess I'll just hang it out there and keep renewing the bait. Hope we catch some. Thank you again for your response.

·
Registered
652 Posts
apparently you don't need to refresh the lemongrass oil. just soak one end of a Q tip and drop it in good to go.

i stuck one in one of our trees the other day. still really early for swarms here but might as well. maybe a forage bee will tell a friend ;)

·
Registered
737 Posts
doodlebug
Let us know if they start checking your trap out.
I am just North West of you and I have 9 traps out already and 7 more to put out this weekend.
The Red buds are starting here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts