Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a funny thing happened to me yesterday ,I saw a swarm and went to capture it. It was way up in an oak tree .I had to clamp to poles together with a bucket on the end and then still get on top of the step ladder to reach them .I got a good portion of them in the bucket and stirred up the rest of them. Now the rest of this swarm had reclustered on the lower branch great! I dumped the first batch into a deep brood box .Now with my wife holding the bucket on a much shorter pole I climbed up on the step ladder with a pair loppers in hand to snip off the branch, the loppers were junk and just shook the branch and the swarm down on top of me and my wife. I was covered with bees from head to toe in my hair in my face on my shirt in my shirt, in the meantime my wife dropped the buckets and went to shake herself off. I ended up getting stung one time under the armpit my wife didn't fare quite as well she had 4 or 5 stings. Yesterday I had six hives today I have seven that is beekeeping! :)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Too funny, except for the stings.

My first swarm, short version:

College campus, summer work study. Silver spoon, Swarm in June, from mean resident wild hives in very old stone buildings, hanging above main walkway, summer classes in session. Co-worker/beekeeper sick. Up to me. No bee suit: ski bibs, coat, goggles & stocking cap will have to do, despite mid 60's & climbing. Sweat, death wish, scared to death. Ladder, loppers & cardboard box. Clip, down, into box, done. No stings. New beekeeper.

Long version potentially available upon coercion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whatever arm twisting it takes ,I'm sure there's a little laughter in there somewhere . I'd love to hear the rest of the story

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>... just shook the branch and the swarm down on top of me... I was covered with bees from head to toe in my hair in my face on my shirt in my shirt

Been there, done that, quit getting them off a ladder after that...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Michael sounds like good advice I'll keep that in mind next time .Oh by the way , all of my beehives and supplies come from brushy Mountain good quality thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts