Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Great pictures! All that I have to look at is the 5 inches of snow that we got yesterday. That makes me miss the great outdoors even more let alone miss working with my bees.

·
Registered
668 Posts
So, Australia does not have bears, but I noticed that around some of your hives there was, what looked to be, an electric fence - is that correct?

Is there a 'bear equivalent' in Australia that you have to protect your hives from?

Mike

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I have a brother in Melbourne... how far is that from you?

I also noted the fence...I am guessing it is to keep cattle from rubbing on the hives... It looks to be only one strand.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Thoes look realy good mate :applause: especialy to us yanks that are setting here with about 16" of snow on the ground and around 0° F

·
Registered
254 Posts
Nice pics! I like your use of pipe for the stands. Are you using oil in the cans for ant/insect control? Assuming the tape is for farm animals.

Great to remember it is summer there. -8ºF here this morning. Did have some of the delicious nectar on toast, tho!

Good luck,

John

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have an idea to relieve you guys from the cold, Holiday in Australia, build our frames and paint our boxes while you are here !!! :D

Yep, we have a few curious cows on the property. Thats a white electric fence ribbon. Since we use the white ribbon on the real (temporary) fences, the cows remember that it hurts. One rung like that around the bees keeps them away.

We dont have bears, but we have these things called cane toads. Basically like a giant frog with a poisenous skin. They like to stand on each others shoulders and help themselves to the bees at the entrance.

Just a few paint tins under the legs with oil in them for the ants. I slimed up the legs with water proof grease as well.

35 degrees (95 Farenheit) here today with plenty of humidity.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Another year or two trade out the water hose for a BB gun and it looks like you have the perfect solution to the cane toad problem.

If I ever end up down to visit my brother I will hit you up for a tour :D He moved there 4 years ago and just got residency a few weeks ago...he loves it; says he is never coming back. It was 102 F (37 C) where he is when I talked to him last.... Thanks, but I think I will continue to live Stateside.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts