Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I check on my strong hive today. I suspected that it was becoming honey bound. When I tried to lift it, it felt very heavy. I pull off the super, hmmm...feels nice...some weight to it, and get into the brood chamber. Going through the frames, one by one, I find quite a lot of honey and pollen. Not good. I pull out 4 frames loaded with honey, pollen and a little brood. I found "Old Girl" on the very last frame in the box. I told her she needed to fill those cells with brood to keep the others from filling them with honey! I put her frame back and cracked open the hive that swarmed yesterday. I pulled the frames with the most open cells and put them in the strong hive. Then, put the frames of honey and pollen in the box that swarmed. Finally, I put the super that was on the strong hive, on the one that swarmed and the empty super on the strong hive. Have I corn-fused you yet? Oh, the extra bodies part relates to the super that was on the strong hive, which is now on the one that swarmed (I'm starting to corn-fuse myself). I looked through the super, and while I was cleaning up the foundationless frames, I noticed little yellow bodies. AHA! THIEF! I don't run Italians, but the lady a couple of streets over does. The more I looked the more I noticed Italians in my Carni super. These girls were fairly new, as they didn't look like adult workers. Since I switched the position of the super, do you suppose they will disorient and stay with this hive?

I just had to add, since I got a kick out of it...I was bent over most of the time, and my jacket rode up and my pants down. I went to pull up my pants and WHAM! Right on the hind end! I was jumping, yeowling, scratching and laughing at the same time!! LOL! :D

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Except for putting the super on the hive that just swarmed, I think you did good. There might not be enough bees left in the swarmed hive to defend the extra space.

Why not put the super back on the strong hive so they have someplace to put all the extra honey their bringing in.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry I didn't make it clear, I did put a super on the strong hive. I put the super from the strong hive on the weak one, because it had drawn comb and honey. I wanted to make sure the weak hive had stores to keep them going. The super from the weak hive was only foundation.

Do you think I should go ahead and pull the super and just leave the hive in just one deep? There are, maybe, 30k left in the hive that swarmed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts