Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the middle of July I purchased from a local Bee Keeper 3 Frames of Brood, 1 Queen and several hundred what I thought were Russian Bee Workers. They were all placed in my 8 Frame Hive and stay at the Bee Keepers Yard for several days. Since that time I have been really pouring the Sugar water at a 2:1 ratio in order to get them ready for over wintering.They have done well for themselves have now have 12 frames completed with honey. However, in the last few weeks now I have noticed that my worker bees are no longer a dark black color with black strips. In fact they are smaller in size with a more bright yellowish orange body. More like an Italian Bee. Is it possible that the brood frames I got were from an Italian Hive, and that the Queen was possibly mated by Italian/Ferral Bee which I have now, it seems? I would like to further point out that they have turned mean and do not tolerate anyone just standing around the hive any more. What gives?????

·
Registered
174 Posts
Some of the russian strains released by the Dept. of Ag. are black, some brown/red, and some yellow. Color would not indicate russian vs. non-russian.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>Back in the middle of July I purchased from a local Bee Keeper 3 Frames of Brood, 1 Queen and several hundred what I thought were Russian Bee Workers.

When a beekeeper makes a split or a nuc the genetics of the workers is considered irelevant. It just doesn't matter becasue in a month or two most of them will be from this queen.

>However, in the last few weeks now I have noticed that my worker bees are no longer a dark black color with black strips. In fact they are smaller in size with a more bright yellowish orange body. More like an Italian Bee.

A lot of the "Russian"queens I've bought have offsprint just like this. Often the queens are also yellow.

>Is it possible that the brood frames I got were from an Italian Hive

Probably irelevant since that was back in July and most of those have emerged and worked themselves to death by now.

>and that the Queen was possibly mated by Italian/Ferral Bee which I have now, it seems?

Always possible. Almost all Russian queens you buy are open mated and therefor you can't know what they mated with.

>I would like to further point out that they have turned mean and do not tolerate anyone just standing around the hive any more.

Sounds like typical Russian bees to me. Do they head butt a lot more than they sting and follow you a lot further?

> What gives?????

They sound like typical Russian bees to me, but they could also be typical Italian/ferals too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts