Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

A couple of honey harvesting questions- NOOB

1375 Views 9 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  JWPalmer
Thanks for looking over my question.

Today I did my first harvest and extracted two Med frames of honey just to run through things, and all went well. But I do have a couple of quick questions.

First, I left the other six frames of honey in the Super for the bees, and replaced the two empty ones after I extracted the honey and they were still messy. I understand the bees will clean them up, but I want to make sure that I'm correct and I'm not creating a bug nightmare for the bees.

Also, I'm doing the "crush & strain" method of extraction. What I did was to scrape the comb off of the foundation into a stainless steel bucket and used a potato masher to turn it into a honey gruel of sorts, then I poured that through a two-layer stainless steel strainer that sits on top of a food grade bucket with a honey gate.

Can somebody give me the general rule of thumb as to how much honey drains out over what amount of time? I thought I read something about 90% or so drains out over the first three days or something, and waiting any longer is somewhat a waste of time.

Lastly, the honey is a bit foggy compared to some of the others I've seen and I'm guessing that's purely due to how it was filtered and nothing to do with the bees?

Thanks again,
b1rd
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1,107 Posts
I do not crush and strain but when I extract and the bits of wax are mixed in the honey, it will take about 1 day for the honey to drain from my strainer at room temperature. Stir the wax periodically to get a complete draining. The "foggy" honey is probably due to the introduction of air bubbles when you were mashing it. Give it some time and the bubbles will float to the surface where they can be scooped off.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.