Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those considering purchasing crop insurance for apiculture from this company...

2009 was the pilot program for apiculture and allowed only in some states. This is publicly subsidized form of crop insurance based on something called a Vegetative Index (VI). Last season in Southern Oregon was the fourth driest year on record since 1928, with 61% of normal precipitation. Production was off in the region from 50% to 75+% depending on location and beekeeper. Despite all this the vegetative index came back as "normal" for the year and virtually no indemnity paid, despite a hefty $2000 price tag left over to be paid after the subsidized portion of the bill was paid by the public.

I would advise to not purchase this product for apiculture, it is defective. They are currently advertising in the beek trade magazines.

This VI is clearly not the metric to monitor for apiculture.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
We aren't far from Southern Oregon and last summer was extremely dry with forest fires all over.Honey production was a disaster. If they wont cough up under those circumstances, they never will. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sad part is that most of the bill (something like 75% to 80% I believe) has already been paid by tax payers. The 2g is just my end after the subsidy. Insurance companies win again.

I have been trying to find who is in charge of reviewing the USDA Risk Management Agency(RMA) pilot programs. The term pilot program would suggest that at some point somebody actually checks to see if it works. Between the bureaucrats and the insurance agents this should be a FUN one to resolve.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts