Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bee keepers daughter back with a question! My dad was checking on his bees without dressing up (Yes, he does know better!) and a bee got behind his glasses and stung him about a quarter inch below his left eye brow. His eye swelled a little, but by the second day, his left eye would not focus, nor would it move back and forth properly. He saw the eye doctor who was clueless. He went to his medical doc. who also had no ideas. They have ran all kinds of tests to rule out any medical issues. He is extremely healthy. The eye doc. thought he may have been stung on an eye muscle, causing the problem. But three weeks later, he has had very little improvement. He cannot drive because that eye still does not focus properly. We all still think it is a result of the sting. We have tried searching various sources for something similar with no luck. Has anyone here every experienced anything like this or heard of anything like this? He has been stung before, but never had a reaction like this. Any tips/advise would be greatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,025 Posts
I and some of my friends have been stung around the eye numerous times. Most reactions do not last that long. Bee venom is a strange ****tail. It may have uncovered something else going on. Bee venom is also used for glaucoma in countries without huge pharmacies. If the internal swelling has not gone down it could indicate diabetes, glaucoma or any number of things. I am not a doctor or apitherapist.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
918 Posts
I've been a diabetic for over 20 years, get stung numerous times during the summer and never have had any adverse reactions to the stings. As a matter of fact, when I do get stung, the site of the sting never swells more than a mosquito bite (1/8 inch high by 1/4 inch in diameter) and is totally pain free and gone in 15-20 minutes.

I'm not sure I understand how a continuing problem from a 3 week old bee sting could in any way be diagnosed as relating to diabetes. :scratch::scratch:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,016 Posts
I know nothing - but sounds like nerve damage to me. I injured my hand a few years back and afterwards realized I must have had some nerve damage - my index finger wouldn't move well. It took about a year before it went away.
I hope he gets better soon.
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
wow, I hope it resolves soon. I had an "invenomation" sting to my nailbed last summer it was unlike any of my other stings. The pain was horrific and it did not resolve for nearly 3 weeks. It makes you wonder how much venom hit the nerve, did he put him on steroids? Sounds like that would be an option. ('I'm an ER nurse)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
667 Posts
I got stung below my left eye this year and had a slightly puffy eye for a while, however, the eye was sore for weeks. This was even after all signs of swelling went down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Make sure he was seen by an opthalmologist and not a optometrist. If the opthalmologist is unsure he can be referred onto a neuroopthalmologist at a bigger medical center who specializes in nerve disorders of the eye. The super-subspecialized neuro-opthal guy at a tertiary medical center usually gets all the strange, rare or really complex cases that the community opthalmologist cant figure out. Time is really key. Once nerves become damaged if you cant get it in the beginning they cant be repaired back to full function and they dont regenerate either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,391 Posts
I've been stung all over my face and head with nothing like that but I have stumps where my left index and middle finger used to be and so I know what a sting in the wrong spot can do.
I sting myself on purpose for arthritis relief up to ten times in the same area so I'm about as immune as I'm going to get but a sting on one of those stumps in the right spot will just about render that hand useless for a few days... All kinds of weird stuff happens including the normal itch and swell that most people get but up on my elbow and shoulder a long way from the sting.
That being said, it's never lasted more than a week so like others have said, make sure you see the right doctor.:)
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top