Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my second year with bee's, i managed to nurse a hive thru last year even though i made several mistakes, how many hives should a beginner try to tackle on their second year, i was wanting to go from 1 up to 5 hives, (advice)? Also we live on a one acre lot with tons of flower beds, garden and a yard full of clover, how many of the hives should i keep here at my home place??
Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
It is generally recomended to start out with two so that you can compare if one is not doing well. Going into your second year you should be able to double your numbers if you wish. Once you are comfortable with your abilities to manage your hives, the only limiting factors are monitary and physical ability, and perhaps your ability to find good yards. ;)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Tony;

You should start at least two hives, if you can, or divide the one right away, make two. The bees will raise queen, but better if you buy one, and introduce.

Terry

·
Registered
252 Posts
Tony:
I dont know anything about your floral sources in Arkansas but I would think your home yard should be able to handle upwards of a dozen hives.
Keep on the lookout for possible other sites because you will need them in the future.
Kurt

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Tony, I started out with two hive two years ago which last spring swarmed and I wound up with five hives! Then I had a rough fall which left me with one hive that overwintered well and looks like it my swarm and give me a second this year. I think it's a good idea to always have at least two hives so you can compare one to the other. If they're both doing the same thing, you know everything's normal.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hey Tony... I lived in Conway for a while before we moved to Illinois... originally from Benton. I don't remember quite where salem is, but in Conway one thing you really had to watch for is that the flow is pretty hard, but it doesn't last very long. Make sure your hives are ready (lots of drawn comb available) when it hits to maximize honey production.

·
Banned
922 Posts
After 2-3 for a learning year, there is little difference besides the work between keeping 5 and 25. After 25 things change a little, but not much.

One person as a full time job can handle 500...a 2 man team, like father/son farmers, can deal with about 1000 to 1250.

BubbaBob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts