Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i looked at the thread on this but i just want to ask point blank so i can be sure lol, I can buy (certan) and spray on my frames, (anytime, spring, summer, fall) let it dry and i can use it right afterward, even on my frames for my marketable honey this year?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I'm skeered of putting anything in my hives, but almost persuaded to use BT since it is not a chemical at all. If I'm not mistaken, you can use it and fit within the organic regimen, assuming you otherwise can claim "organic." This will probably be the year I use it.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
oh, sorry, it is the baccillus (sp?) spore in certan. Hey, I'm no chemist or scientist, i'm a simple country boy so if you told me it had Dr. Pepper in it I'd believe you, but I heard that here on beesource. I think Mr. Bush swears by it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I started using it last fall. The wax moth gets into the hive, lays her eggs then the eggs hatch out into larva. These larva begin feeding on the wax comb that has been sprayed with the Bt spores. These spores become bacteria inside the larva and eat the lil buggers from the inside out. End of wax moth cycle on that comb!
Check out this search I did- Certan and wax moth links on beesource
Some of the frames I've examined lately that I sprayed early last fall have a few cells with wax moth damage and webbing but then that's it. I think it works.
Try it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If it works on wax moth larvae does it have any effect on small hive beetle larvae?

[ March 31, 2006, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: R.L. Bee ]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts