Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Do you agree with the description of "bee-space" in the original posting?

• Yes

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 13.3%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A recent bee magazine article stated the following concerning bee space:

"The bees would leave this passageway open, neither filling it with propolis for being too narrow nor comb for being too wide."

Any comments?

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Bee space as suggested by L L Langstroth is making frames and other wooden ware with a space about 3/8 inch between and around combs. If the quote is from a situation where the bees tunnel through the comb that is different.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
..think about going to the supermarket, where there is "shopping cart space".

if the aisles are too wide, the space isn't well utilized, and eventually you end up with additional product displays.

if the aisles are too narrow, 2 carts can't pass one another, leading to traffic jams.

shopping cart space allows carts to travel in opposite directions without colliding.

bee space allows for bees to walk on parallel combs without colliding. bee space is 2 bees tall.

deknow

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A recent bee magazine article stated the following concerning bee space:

"The bees would leave this passageway open, neither filling it with propolis for being too narrow nor comb for being too wide."
I thought the above description was a typo or an editing error... but when I checked into it I learned that the author stands behind the statement. :scratch:

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
...what do you think is wrong with that description?

deknow

·
Registered
123 Posts
I want to read the rest of the statement. Where is this opening? My girls will seal up areas and leave no "bee space" Or leave them open way past "bee space" as in the entry etc. So what is this statement relating too? :scratch:

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I want to read the rest of the statement. Where is this opening? My girls will seal up areas and leave no "bee space" Or leave them open way past "bee space" as in the entry etc. So what is this statement relating too? :scratch:
It is from the first paragraph of an article written by Dr. Mangum in the April issue of the ABJ.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
The bee-space is too wide to be filled with propolis and too narrow to be filled by comb.
oh, i see what you are saying...but no, i think you are being misled by fancy language.

neither filling it with propolis for being too narrow
he is saying "the bees would fill a space with propolis if it were too narrow"

nor comb for being too wide"
"the bees would fill the space with comb if it were too wide"

this is one of those language things that is hard to untangle once you get confused by the language.

deknow

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh, i see what you are saying...but no, i think you are being misled by fancy language.

this is one of those language things that is hard to untangle once you get confused by the language.

deknow
:)

I would suggest that "fancy language" caused the author to say the opposite of what was intended.

Perhaps a few English teachers can proofread the statement.

Reading exactly what is written can be misleading...

·
Registered
246 Posts
I use English as my second language, and my interpretation was just the same as deknow.

Potata-potato :)

·
Banned
4,229 Posts
Its a logic puzzle.

You could also say, "The bees would leave this passageway open, neither filing it with comb for being too narrow nor propolis for being to wide."

Now some might say that you could treat the bees as the object and say they are too wide or too narrow.

The other way you would refer to the passageway.

Either way, it ain't getting filled.

It's a poorly written statement.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I have no problems with the initial statement. Not my precise choice of words, or syntax. I also believe my bees have read it somewhere, maybe I missed the memo.

Roland

1 - 17 of 17 Posts