Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two hives of Carnies. One of the hives is doing real well with 5 med and 2 shallow supers full and the hive right next to it has maybe 2 med full. I've yet to this day to find a queen in either hive, but evidently they are there. I have been through the weak hive many times to try to see what the problem might be and have found nothing. There is plenty of activity in the hive, many bees and lots of pollen going in. I tried adding frames of brood to help strengthen it but it didn't seem to do much. I sat watching them one day and thinking about what I've read about their eyesight not being real great, seeing that the two hives are about 2' apart, why don't I wait till dark and just switch the position of the hives and see what happens. Well their wasn't much confusion the next couple of days and alot more bees were coming and going from the weak hive so it looked like all was going well. I left them that way for about 3 weeks and now they are back to there original places. The weak hive is doing MUCH better, growth wise and the strong one is still going well. Was this result just luck or did they just do what comes natural to them and keep right on working.
I did notice that when I first switched them, some of the bees were confronted at the entrance, but not for long and then allowed to pass, most that were coming back to what they thought was their hive, just went right in as if it were home with no problem. I would guess that with the numbers that were coming in, that the guard bees were a bit overwhelmed and went about their work and left them alone.
Any insight into this...

·
Banned
1,210 Posts
Well this is sorta how I do it when making a split. By setting up half of the hive right next to the original hive.... I waited about three weeks or so to evaluate the population and activity at the entrance and what they're carrying inside etc. If one hive were to be considerably weaker, I'd take some goodies from the stronger hive along with the bees that are on the frame, and add them to the weaker lot.

Sounds good to me....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts