Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

90 degree angle comb building?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Robert Hawkins 
#1 ·
I need some advice. I have bees that will occasionally lay a double layer of comb. I just tear that off.

I have one hive where I left space between the hive box and the last frame. I only put in 9 instead of 10.

The bees are building comb at a 90 degree angle to the frames. They're building comb in a T shape.

I have cut it off twice now. I put in the extra frame and crowded it completely against the wall. Is there anything else I can do?

#3 ·
I am running wooden frames with wired beeswax with wedge bars at the top.

I haven't looked again today but I did crowd that side of the frame all the way up against the wall. I am thinking that the bees were trying to fill that gap between the frame and the hive body.

Yes, I am feeding. I'm trying to establish new hives and cutouts. I'm trying to get the bees to draw out enough frames and hive bodies for at the least 12 inches of brood nest area and better yet if I can get 18 (3 medium bodies).

I'm planning on taking everything above that.

#5 ·
this is just one of the cases that i wish was brought out into the light more often ..... and that is DIRECTIONS

lots of beekeepers ask me the same question ..." i bought this ""frame spacer" and i used it and the bees screwed up my whole hive"

they blame the bees when infact they should blame the seller of the spacer - they need to stamp on the thing that it is for DRAWN FRAME ONLY

but there is a list of things that we buy from suppliers and there is not directions for correct or suggested use

but luckly new beekeepers now adays have BeeSource.com to ask for the tips and trick from us

anyhow - enough rant - i hope this clears up your burr and brace comb issue

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.