Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jumping ahead to adding supers, how many frames do most of you use, 9 or 10? I run all mediums and have used 10 frames in everything in the past, but I know that some of you use only 9 frames in your supers. Do the bees really draw out the frames deeper, and if I add drawn frames from last year will they just fill them up to the current depth and cap or will they draw them out deeper if there are only 9 in the super?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
The bees will draw out the cell wall deeper. The reason for most using 9 drawn frames in a 10 frame honey super is to make uncapping easier. I started using 8 frames in a 10 frame box(2400+ supers) since I do all my extracting myself and use a big cowen uncapper. I spend a lot less time scratching where the knives miss and more time at home with my wife and kids

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Beeslave,
I've heard that it helps so I will give it a try. It may be especially helpful on some of the fully drawn plastic frames. I have just a few but haven't been too impressed with them. The bees have filled them up but capped them right at the end of the plastic cell and they are difficult to uncap. Maybe if I just use nine, they'll add a little more depth and make it easier to uncap.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Thanks Beeslave,
I've heard that it helps so I will give it a try. It may be especially helpful on some of the fully drawn plastic frames. I have just a few but haven't been too impressed with them. The bees have filled them up but capped them right at the end of the plastic cell and they are difficult to uncap. Maybe if I just use nine, they'll add a little more depth and make it easier to uncap.
Bees will do exactly what you described to any foundation as the honey flow was ending.
Do not blame the Plastic.
Ernie

·
Registered
208 Posts
I know it shouldn't have to be said, but there are (hopefully) new beekeepers reading this who don't know that you DON'T put 9 or 8 frames of foundation in a box. If you do, the bees may draw comb between the frames. You only use 9 or 8 frames with DRAWN comb. Always start foundation with a full box of 10 frames.

Fuzzybeekeeper

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I have a 9 frame extractor so I run 9 frame supers. If I had a 10 frame extractor.... Guess what, I would run 10 frame supers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
fuzzybeekeeper:I know it shouldn't have to be said, but there are (hopefully) new beekeepers reading this who don't know that you DON'T put 9 or 8 frames of foundation in a box. If you do, the bees may draw comb between the frames. You only use 9 or 8 frames with DRAWN comb. Always start foundation with a full box of 10 frames.
Yes, I'm new and am getting my first bees early April & I need that distinction drawn for me. Important for me. Thank you!

·
Registered
11 Posts
BeeSlave:Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeslave
The reason for most using 9 drawn frames in a 10 frame honey
It helps to read all the words
Noted. Yes it does; however, it still helped me to have the distinction made & the reason provided because for someone totally new, like me, taking in a lot of new information at one time from many sources (for me, a class, 4 books & this forum, the articles) over a relatively short period of time, together with all the other unrelated reading & writing I must do every day, a "word" can easily be overlooked. Perhaps not for you on this topic. It is my good practice to re-read a number of times (well, I confess I must in my line of work). I do not "expect" the distinction to be made for me as I will eventually make it on my own. Again, thanks to fuzzy for making the distinction. It helped me.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I know it shouldn't have to be said, but there are (hopefully) new beekeepers reading this who don't know that you DON'T put 9 or 8 frames of foundation in a box. ...You only use 9 or 8 frames with DRAWN comb. Always start foundation with a full box of 10 frames.
Wow, I didn't know this- thanks!!! :)

·
Premium Member
12,000 Posts
No need to explain yourself, cgmccary. Most of us understand that it has nothing to do with reading all the words or comprehension. I'm fairly new to homebrewing and the details get a bit confusing as well until you have experience under your belt.

·
Registered
854 Posts
In honey supers, it doesn't matter too much - it's eight, nine or ten drawn out frames. Would suggest that you try Stoller frame seperators if you are a hobbyist. But always keep ten drawn out frames in the brood chambers so that the bee space will be maintained. Some beeks use 9 drawn out frames in brood chambers and it seems to work, however inevitably the bee space is thrown off and bridge comb will be built. OMTCW

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Sorry if I seemed inconsiderate of the newbees. It is just a issue(not 9 vs 10 but using 10 frames in 10 frame box when using foundation) that most beginner books about beekeeping discuss and all beginners should read at least a couple of these books before they even order their bees.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It is just a issue that most beginner books about beekeeping discuss and all beginners should read at least a couple of these books before they even order their bees.
I completely disagree with you. Most beginner books do not discuss the 9 vs. 10 frame (drawn vs. foundation). Of my five books (i'd forgot I just got a new one), one of them draws the distinction in a meaningful way, and it is the more advanced of the four books (so not really a Beginner's book & I've only just started). The five books vary and each have something the other does not. There does not seem to be one all encompassing book. I have completely read "First Lessons in Beekeeping" by Delaplane and Bonney's "Beekeeping, A Practical Guide." Both are Beginner's books and NEITHER have the 9 vs. 10 frame /foundation vs. drawn comb concept you purport they should contain. Believe it or not, Beekeeping for Dummies mentions, "Nine or ten frames?" in a special box explanation, but it fails to explain or mention the drawn comb vs. foundation key point. You must not remember that far back when you read a Beginner's book (and why should you?)?

I do not agree that one needs to know anything other than 10 frames in the super in your first year of Beekeeping. I am going very vanilla, very plain, & simple and going by what my local mentor tells me.

From my point of view, there is only so much you can read and comprehend without actually having bees to see. I have completed my class except for the trip to my teacher's bee yard next Saturday (if weather permits). I had to order my bees awhile back & am buying two new but started colonies already installed in the hives with proven (but new) queens & some brood. Per your standard, I would not be getting bees until Spring, 2011. Even though we learned how to install a package and put together frames and hive bodies, I will not have to actually do that until next year (2011). My teacher/mentor says he will help me with anything I need, and I have signed up for an Advanced Beekeeping Class to begin in May. The only question I have remaining in my head for this first season is whether or not & if I do, then when, to use an Q. excluder. I can decide this later for myself, can't I? I need to see bees in order to advance and actually learn more. My purpose in beekeeping is not monetary but strictly hobby, love of the bee & truthfully, I haven't seen ANY honeybees in a few years around here (just some Bumblebees; a few Hornets) and our vegetable garden has done poorly during the same time period. The honey will just be a bonus. I do not need to make money as I am well compensated at my employment. I will probably give honey to my neighbors.

I will say I do have trouble with abbreviations on this forum sometimes & have been just too embarrassed to ask. I know SHB is "Small Hive Beetle." Every group and industry has its abbreviations so I do not fault you all for not spelling it out each time (and I'll figure it out eventually). I looked to see if there was a reference page with abbreviations often used but couldn't find it, if one exists.

Christopher

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Since I finally have comb, I will be running 9 in my 10 boxes and 7 in my 8 boxes.

As far as the bees filling only to the edge of the plastic comb. Which brand of plastic comb. PermaComb doesn't have any edges on the sides of the frames near the frame rests. So if you don't pay attention PermaComb frames will almost be touching each other. No bee space, no extended comb/capping on the frames.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts