Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over 80 hives got stolen Sunday, 10/28 by the Sacramento Int. Airport. Frames all black plastic 50/50 Mann Lake and Pierco, double deeps. Some of the boxes had printed vbees.com. The beekeeper next to me had some equipment like lids scattered around his yard, they cleaned everything, lids, empty boxes, pallets. These two pictures are to show how the hives looked like. Where a satellite tracking devise can be bought? IMG_3086.jpg IMG_3089.jpg

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
No brands? no identification?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another beekeeper says that 350 hives got stolen last week from Elverta area, which is not far away from my yard. His hives were on bottom boards, the thieves took only double story hives.
Unfortunately, my hives were no branded. I can recognize the hives easily:
1. the older boxes had 2" nails used on corrugated plastic siding on homes, wide head. These boxes had 1" from the handle notch to the top edge of the box, cut by some guys from Sac. Newer boxes had 2" staples, 1/2 crown with 2" from the handle notch to the top edge.
2. Pallets were for 4 hives, painted black, all entrances (5") facing in one direction, few pallets had 3 x 4 instead of 2 x 4 under the plywood.
3. Lids with no cleats on top had 1-3/4" hole, the newer were made of laminated plywood.
I am looking to get gps devises installed, to brand the frames, but probably plastic it will be more difficult than branding wood.
Thanks,
Victor

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sucks! Hope you catch them. Though we like to think we have a pretty good bunch of people in our industry there are some low life scum also. I hate thieves. Old fashioned justice works for me if they get caught. The deep woods of Arkansas are available to hide the bodies if you can get them here. I'll help dig the hole.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Victor,

If you use Pierco, I think you can pay a fee and they will mold your name or whatever Identification you want into the top bars.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
A California Apiary ID Number costs $25 to apply for. A branding iron a couple of hundred. Then any Ag inspector can track down the owner. Might make a rustler think twice before loading them up. I have been branding all woodenware for decades and dont even have much theft exposure.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
Mann Lake offers branded frames.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,785 Posts
I like the idea of branding your own frames and woodenware. A couple of hundred bucks for a custom iron does not sound bad compared to the value of just one or two hives. I am also in favor of frontier style justice for bee rustlers. Hang 'em high and let the buzzards take care of the rest.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been researching about the options on how to keep the hives safe and came to the conclusion that branding probably would be the best option over the GPS tracking devises and game cameras.
Do you think that using a phone number as brand instead of a registered ID code would be a better idea? Someone can call directly the number engraved on the frames/box instead of searching county records.
Any idea where to buy the equipment for branding current in use plastic frames? Also, several months ago I bought 10k Pierco frames.
Thank you.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
You can now add a tracking device that comes with your cell phone, usually for about $15 each in addition to your initial setup. See your cell phone dealer.

BTW, best of luck, I will keep my eyes open for the all-Pierco frames hives.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The beekeeper neighbor had his 20 hives (that got stolen together with mine) branded with MMY as well about 40% of his frames were branded with same letters by Mann Lake.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
He would have been better off branding with a number that could be traced back to the owner. MMY tells law enforcement nothing. Any cop could trace his driver's licence number.
QUOTE=happybees;1677757]The beekeeper neighbor had his 20 hives (that got stolen together with mine) branded with MMY as well about 40% of his frames were branded with same letters by Mann Lake.[/QUOTE]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts