Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two ten frame hives. Last year I ran 10 frames in all 4 supers I pulled off and had a heck of a time uncapping when we were extracting. I am thinking of spacing them out and running fewer frames per super. I know that 8 frames will allow the bees to draw the comb out far enough to make uncapping easier. Will 9 frames in a ten frame hive also allow the bees to draw the comb out beyond the edges of the frames? Is one set up preferable to the other?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
If you do space them 8 or 9 in a ten frame honey super, or 6 or 7 in 8-frame supers (which I have done - it works just like using 8 or 9 in ten frame equipment), I recommend purchasing or making a spacing device to help keep the spacing uniform. The frame rests with the precut spaces for the frames I find to be somewhat restrictive, they limit how you can move the frames around in the supers.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
You can get away with going 8 frames in your honey supers as long as you already have drawn comb to work with. The bees just draw it out fatter.

You only have to extract 8/10ths the number of frames to get the same amount of honey too.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Once you have extracting frames of drawn comb...run 9 frames in a 10 frame hive during the honey flow, and you should get good fat frames to uncap. At least that is what I do here...and it seems to work just fine for us.
God bless,
Fred

1 - 7 of 7 Posts