Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,315 Posts
Here's a link to the memo from the White House. Government programs are notorious for expanding just slightly slower than the Universe itself. Don't worry if your state isn't included in the list yet.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...ating-federal-strategy-promote-health-honey-b

I wonder whether there are any folks with actual scientific backgrounds in entomology on the task force, and if so who they are. I also wonder whether they're going to reinvent the wheel or if they will make use of all the work done to date by others.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I read an CNN article this morning that said the recommend budget for this next year will be 50 million.

·
Super Moderator
10,453 Posts
looks like our president is making saving the bees a national security issue, an interesting tack when compared to how left leaning sentiments in the european union resulted in bee-related legislation recently.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
8Million won't do much. But it will help some farmers buy something. Just not bee farmers.

·
Super Moderator
10,453 Posts
I wonder whether there are any folks with actual scientific backgrounds in entomology on the task force, and if so who they are. I also wonder whether they're going to reinvent the wheel or if they will make use of all the work done to date by others.
thanks for the link barry. looks like virtually every department of our government is supposed to designate a representative and spend the next six months putting together a task force. interesting that the lead is co-chaired between the dept of ag. and the epa. no doubt neonics will end up a hot topic.

beyond establishing a task force, the memo tasks our government to find out why the pollinators are in decline and what steps can be taken to improve pollinator habit.

let's wish them well, and let's hope truth will trump politics on this side of the atlantic.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
let's wish them well, and let's hope truth will trump politics on this side of the atlantic.
Yes, with talk of studies and task forces I am afraid I know where the bulk of this money will be spent. Let's remember there is already a CRP program in place, a re-writing of some of the regs. to require bee friendly plantings and an expansion of the acreage by allowing smaller plots (currently a 15 acre plot is needed to qualify) and a dropping of the requirement that any CRP ground must be crop ground with a proven cropping history that is taken out of production, would be a good start. Roadside plantings and mowing and spraying restrictions along US highways would also help while using using Federal clout to pressure states counties and townships to do likewise. If the federal government really wants to do more they are going to have to be willing to pay a lot of money to take highly productive farm ground out of production. I kind of doubt that will happen to too great an extent though. However, all these things will no doubt be revealed by spending enough money on studies. :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts