Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finished assembling my new equipment. medium frames in 8-frame boxes from kelley. more room in there than i thought should be. i know some shave down the frames to fit a 9th frame. but there’s almost enough room in there for 9 without shaving. do i just push them together toward the center?

and then worry about all the extra air on the outside rows come winter?

·
Super Moderator
11,270 Posts
> do i just push them together toward the center?

Yes.

>
then worry about all the extra air on the outside rows come winter?

You could devise a type of follower board from something like foam board if you think there is too much space in winter. Personally, I think your efforts would be better spent to deal with a solution to condensation dripping on the bees in winter rather than worrying about 'extra' space alongside the frames.

An earlier thread:
http://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...rame-box&p=1079594&highlight=nucs#post1079594

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have this same issue and its enough space that they can and do build burr comb on the sides, EVERY TIME.

is keeping them tight and centered more for when they are building out comb or should I always put it in the middle tight after inspections?

I think I will actually slap the ninth frame in if they have no other comb or during a vacuum. This will make sure they stay tight and straight at the most critical time. I should be able to pull the ninth frame out within a couple weeks without issue, by then they will have a guide (hopefully).

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Yeah, I recently bought some aluminum brackets that space 7 frames out in an 8-frame super, specifically so they'll draw deep cells for honey, but what I was really interested in is brackets for 8 frames in an 8-frame super or brood box. They really do seem kinda loose in there and I'm worried about rolling a queen if I get sloppy and suddenly close up space on her as I remove frames.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've been running 8 frame mediums since I began. I had the same problem as you at first. I just pushed them tight together & centered them in brood box. Then I decided to shave the sidebars & run 9 frames. Smartest thing I ever did. Now I run 9 frame brood & 8 frame honey supers. No problems.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Mann Lake's eight frame are the same. The two I assembled recently measure 14" outside width. Nine frames slip in now, but a little propolis, wax, or moisture swelling the frames and I think they're going to be pretty hard to get in and out. My five frame boxes from them are similar. I wonder if the extra is designed in for the use of their frame feeder?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Mann Lake's eight frame are the same. <snip> I wonder if the extra is designed in for the use of their frame feeder?
Well, if the reason for the extra space is for installation of a frame feeder then Kelleys and Rossman are figuring on frame feeders, too. On some Rossman boxes I can get nine frames in them, on others nine won't fit. Without shaving, the boxes that will take nine frames would be too tight once propolis and wax was added to the equation. I want some working room. I center eight brood frames up and deal with some bridge comb from the sideboards...I spread eight honey frames out equally. One day I may shave down the brood frames, maybe this winter...or next. :)

Ed

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just give it some time and two things will happen. The bees will add a little propolis between the frames and the kiln dried frames will absorb moisture from the respiration and will swell and before long you'll be wondering how all that extra room disappeared.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts