Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well boys and girls, I made 6- 8 frame hives this wk. I'm going to try them out. I figure 3 for brood . 2 deeps actually equals 4-6 5/8 But I do run I dp and 1-6 5/8 for my Russians. I'm going to try 3 Russians and 3 Carni's. I have drawn comb for all of them. If you've got any tips be sure to let me know. I HATE CHANGE... But I really need to lighten things up or my beekeeping days are numbered.:(

·
Registered
410 Posts
I worked with a 89yr old man that was running 100 10 frame hives and producing about 10,000lb honey per year. He never lifted a full box. He would pull frames one at a time. Put them in a transport box in the back of his jeep and haul them to his extracting house, again handling them one frame at a time. Lots of repatition but no heavy lifting. He also used an old AI Root hand crank 4 frame extractor. A pure old school outfit.

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
I had back surgery in August. For the months after, I did it the same way the ol' 89year old did. I took along empty supers and transferrred frames a handful at a time. It's slow but can be done. I don't believe that reducing the weight by 20% is going to buy you a lot of time. Working smart....which I obviously haven't.....will keep you in the game much longer.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I run all 8 frame mediums. Buy one of those hive carrying devices and get someone to help you. Make a jig to place the box on, blow the bees out with a blower and two of you carry the hive to the truck. Just a thought. I have a 15 year old son so I save my back.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts